Friday, March 23, 2012

Smocked Pillowcase Dress Part 1

I know, I know. I promised I would blog more often. I've been busy!! For one thing, I'm still trying to develop my business logo. I know what I want, I just can't put it together with the limited resources I have at my disposal at this time. But don't worry, it's coming. In the meantime, after a bout with the flu and sinus attach I have come out "smocking"!


Another challenge I have is the nearest fabric store is over 30 miles away. Had I known that when we moved to Lumberton, I think I would have really reconsidered. I know the internet is only a click away but there's nothing like having those fabrics right in front of you to touch and smell and see in person. I long to shop for the new bright colored retro fabrics out today but, in the meantime, I will make do. I've decided to just use fabric scraps I have in my stash and see what I can create. In the above picture, I pleated fabric left over from a dress I made for my youngest daughter, Lauren, pictured below on left, to wear to my oldest daughter, Magan's, college graduation.


I'm making my own version of the "pillowcase dress". This technique has been around a while, I know, and has probably run it's course. I missed out on it since my children are college age and I have no grands yet. But, I have been looking at them online and love the simplicity of this style of dress. That is probably another reason I haven't made one, it's so simple.( I think I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to that.)  Alas, I have complicated it a bit! I am adding smocking. At this point, I'm still in the design and construction phase, but I will share what I have so far.


I am using a plate found in an old Creative Needle magazine. Unfortunately, the magazine is no longer in business.



(Just a side note: I am so grateful I saved what issues I had of Creative Needle AND  Sew Beautiful magazines. Each issue I have of these magazines mean even more to me now than they did when I got them. Of course, I thought they were precious then or I wouldn't have saved them all these years and through so many moves. I even picked up an issue or two each year when my children were teens and I had no one to smock for. I guess I was planning ahead for future grandchildren or making gifts for others as I do now.)

The other fabrics that I have chosen to give a pop of color to this little dress were used for a college book bag I made Lauren when she was home for Christmas break.




How is this for recycling!! I am excited to finish the dress and let you see how it turns out. I'm off to create! Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think so far and "follow" me. I need the encouragement and as I browse other blogs I see I have a lot to do to get up to speed. It may be fun to watch the transformation I hope to make in my blogging journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment